Monday, August 31, 2009

WARM SPRINGS 8 30 09

map vert

David & I rode the Warm Springs trail system Sunday.

Loop – 56 MILES/ Avg Speed= 17 mph/ rolling time = 3.6 hr

We parked along Willow Creek on the other side of Fairfield.

It was threatening rain but I decided not to pack my heavy jacket and just use my gortex jersey if it rained a decision I regretted later.

WARM SPRINGS 001 Stitch

VIEW FROM UPPER WARM SPRINGS TRAIL

WARM SPRINGS 006 Stitch

POISON FLATS – David consulting map to decide which loops to make. We decided to try Warfield again. Last year we were turned around because of trail closure at the top.

Along the bottom of Warfield we met some some other riders just as the skies were about to open up. They said it was gnarly so we decided we weren’t that adventurous to try it in the rain and to turn around and do the loop we did last year.

WARM SPRINGS 010

Rain gear stop along Warm Springs.

WARM SPRINGS 009

Barry – “ Your BIKES , Our TRAILS"

" I DON’T KNOW IF I SHOULD BE THE

LAST KENNEDY BROTHER OR THE NEXT CASTRO BROTHER

The rain only lasted a few minutes and was gone when we got back to Poison Flats.

WARM SPRINGS 011 Stitch

VIEW FROM MAHONEY.

WARM SPRINGS 016

Warm Springs Creek at the bottom of Red Warrior. (I had thoughts of Teddy.)

The creek was muddy from the rain and we couldn't see the bottom to pick a line and tell where the holes were.

WARM SPRINGS 019 WARM SPRINGS 020

I went 1st. The crossing wasn't that deep but still was slick and hidden rocks stopped your mo.

We stopped for lunch along the creek and watched the rain come in.

After a while we decided to ride up the road to the Warm Springs trail head.

It only continued raining while we were on the road and stopped when we got back on the trail.


I kept my speed~ 30mph because of the chill.

WARM SPRINGS 023

Glove change on Meadow Creek. Indian Summer might be here early.

Time to update the riding kit to include jackets, glove liners , wet weather gear & make sure the grip heaters are working.

I also think there would be more riding opportunity if you camped along Warm Springs

road out of Ketchum. You could get a couple of good loops together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter